The Untying Knot Trick
Rope magic is a staple for most stage magicians and the ability to tie a knot that is not a knot is a must have.
The magician displays a large silk and twirls it into a rope. Holding the silk by the ends in each hand, he then moves one end over so he is holding both ends in one hand. Reaching through the loop with his right hand he grabs one end and pulls it through, forming a knot roughly in the middle of the silk. Running his hand down the length of the silk the knot seems to slip off and into the magician’s hand, but when he opens the hand the knot has vanished.
When the magician makes the move to tie the knot he instead creates a slip knot.
A large silk or a three foot length of rope can be used for this trick.
No advance preparation is required.
Performing the TrickPerformed with a rope or a silk, the Untying Knot Trick is a real crowd pleaser:
- The magician takes an end of a large silk in each hand, gripping each end between the first and second fingers of the hand. Whipping the silk around and around, he creates a rope of sorts and then announces he is going to tie the silk in a knot.
- The right end of the silk (End B) is passed off to the left hand thumb and first finger, but passes first through the second and third finger of the left hand.
- Reaching through the loop that has been created, the magician takes the left end of the silk (End A) in his right hand. The third and fourth fingers of the left hand hold back End A where it passes through the left hand. The second finger of the left hand hooks part of End B as the right hand pulls End A through the loop.
- As the loop closes and begins to form a knot, the magician pulls the part of End B hooked by the left second finger through the loop - as the loop closes it will close on a doubled-back portion of the silk, creating a slip knot.
- The silk is left to dangle from the right hand, showing the knot for all to see. The magician then runs the left hand down the silk, cupped, which seems to carry the knot right off the silk. The hand can then be displayed to show it is empty.